Mapledown @ Copthall
* The main school - Claremont Road NW2 1TR: for pupils aged 11-19 with Severe and Profound Learning Difficulties (including Autism) for up to 90 students.
* Mapledown @ Copthall - Pursley Road NW7 2EP: for pupils aged 11 to 19 with Severe learning difficulties. School leaders and Governors are proud to announce the opening of Mapledown’s new provision on their Copthall site from September 2021. This is co-located within the grounds of a mainstream secondary school.
We offer young people a nurturing environment where they can express themselves whilst developing new skills and knowledge.
@ Copthall, our ethos and vision are the same as on our Main site: to provide a learning environment for all members of the school’s community, where everyone can work and learn together. We aim to ensure our wonderful and inspiring students are given the dignity of challenge, and opportunities to be heard, become as independent as possible and achieve their very best. We will be providing learners with a personalised curriculum which is focused on the successful acquisition of knowledge and skills which will have a positive impact on their lives and opportunities.
What do we offer?
* Pupils at secondary transfer (year 7 - KS3), who are able to engage in subject specific learning, and without sensory processing or emotional regulation needs are offered a full time placement.
* KS4 pupils from the main site who would benefit from accessing a more mainstream setting, additional opportunities to engage in work related learning and access the local community more functionally are offered a place, in consultation with families.
* Pupils are supported by staff who are committed to supporting young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.
* High levels of staffing ensure pupils are safe.
* Staff expertise enables KS3 pupils to develop the skills they require to begin their secondary educational journey, and KS4 pupils to transfer the skills they have acquired at Mapledown.
Therapy provision The @Copthall provision is supported by Mapledown school’s Speech and Language therapists, Physiotherapist and Occupational therapist. The school nursing team also oversees the pupils attending Mapledown@Copthall.
Curriculum We offer a curriculum which is adapted to meet the particular needs of the pupils who attend the school.
Successful specialist strategies
Physical Programmes are designed by specialists and support pupils to develop their physical, motor and functional skills. Specialist Equipment ensures that pupils can access their environment and learning opportunities. It may include the use of work chairs or walking frames.
Total Communication is a combination of specialist communication approaches to facilitate and develop expressive and receptive language. We include Makaton Signing, PODD and PECs.
Attention Building activities are used to develop attention, communication and social interaction skills. It aims to inspire spontaneous communication by offering an irresistible invitation to learn.
ICT and Assistive Technology is used to enable pupils to have control over their environment, to increase sensory awareness, to develop communication and make choices, to engage in social interactions and to play and have fun.