Learning Support Assistant Vacancy:
Exciting opportunities at Mapledown School! Due to a number of new students joining us in September, and the opening of our second satellite provision in a local secondary school, we are recruiting graduate/skilled teaching assistants to join our staff both on our main site and at our satellite provision, across our learning zones.
Mapledown School is Barnet’s only secondary special school for students with Severe and Profound or Complex learning difficulties and Autism. Our ethos and vision are to provide a learning environment for all members of the school community, where everyone can work and learn together. We aim to ensure our wonderful and inspiring students are given the dignity of challenge, and opportunities to be heard, become as independent as possible and achieve their very best. All young people have the right to have their individual needs met, and therefore Mapledown staff provide learners with a personalised curriculum which is focused on the successful acquisition of knowledge and skills which will have a positive impact on their lives and opportunities.
We are looking for inspiring and highly motivated staff who are interested in furthering their careers. We are particularly interested in people who have experience of working with young people with ASC or complex learning, communication and physical difficulties, as we have vacancies across the school due to our planned increased roll for September. If you would like to join our friendly, enthusiastic and hard-working team, we look forward to receiving your application.
Induction and training will be given for this rewarding job, and will include, depending on where you will be deployed, First Aid, PODD, MOVE, Manual Handling and Team Teach.
Applicants should have:
● Good standards of English and Maths (GCSE or equivalent)
● A degree (desirable but we would consider applications from experienced practitioners)
● A desire for working with students with complex learning difficulties
● Previous experience is desirable although consideration will be given to applicants with relevant skills
● Good communication skills
● Enthusiasm for supporting children and their learning
● The ability to work well on your own and as part of a team
● A positive attitude and sense of humour
● A willingness to learn new skills
● A willingness to undertake personal care of pupils
● The successful applicant must have a high standard of written and spoken English
● A positive attitude with emotional resilience
● Excellent organisational skills
● A reflective approach to ongoing professional development
● Willingness to have training to drive the school minibus is especially welcome
All candidates will be shortlisted on the basis of a completed application form. Please email it to:
You can also download an application and details from the school website: https://www.mapledownschool.co.uk/
CLOSING DATE: SHORTLISTING: INTERVIEWS:
Monday 6th June
Wednesday 15th June
Mapledown School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people An enhanced DBS will be required for all successful applicants.
CVs are not accepted.